Noopept is the trade name given to n-phenylacetyl-l-prolylglycine ethyl ester. It is a common substitute for the nootropic Piracetam. Noopept has a neuroprotective effect on the brain and is used in the treatment of dementia, and certain types of brain traumas. It is said to improve memory, focus, and cognition and has also shown positive results in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Noopept is a very recent discovery in the nootropic category; Russia patented it in the year 1995. It has neuroprotective attributes that help in the stimulation of specialized proteins called Nerve Growth Hormones (NGH). These nerve growth hormones prevent the degeneration of nerve cells in the hippocampus of our brain. It helps in the secretion of another protein called Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) in the brain cells. BDNF proteins empower the growth and survival of neurons in our brain. They promote the growth of new neurons as well as prevent any relapse of nerve cells.
Noopept also helps trigger glutamate receptors and their pathways in our brain. Glutamates play a crucial role in improving our memory and thought process. This nootropic is prescribed as an oral dosage as it easily permeates the blood-brain barrier and is, therefore, quite effective in treating mental disorders.
As per studies, it helps alleviate amyloidal oligomeric cytotoxicity in our brain cells, making it an effective treatment for Parkinson’s disease as well.
How the drug works
Noopept works by restoring memory and cognitive abilities during the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. It prevents free radicals and cytokinetic accumulations in our brain.
It equalizes any imbalance caused by the rise or fall in the ionic levels of our nerve cells. It has been used successfully in treating Neurotrophic deficit and excitotoxicity of the brain cells.
The results of a Noopept dosage vary from one person to another. For some, it may bring about a little difference in their memory and cognitive abilities while for others significant changes can be felt in remembering minute details from the past.
Noopept works in the manner similar to other Racetams, i.e. by targeting the Acetylcholine system. After its administration, it gets absorbed through the GI tract, reaching the brain-blood barrier where it starts showing its effect. It targets the glutamate receptors and slows down glutamate breakdown in the neuron cells of our brain. The glutamate level of our brain is directly related to our cognition and memory.
Noopept is also linked directly to our learning abilities, memory maps, and intelligence. It helps by increasing the oxygen levels in our brain cells, thus making our thought process much clearer and focused. It increases brain glucose levels that are essential for the upkeep of brain cells. It also improves the communication between the left and right hemispheres of our brains. It makes us more focused and meditative.
The drug functions as a positive modulator of acetylcholine and significantly improves the effects of acetylcholine at the receptor sites. Since Noopept works in improving short-term focus and brain activity at the same time, it is a great option in treating a bad case of neuroplasticity. It works perfectly for those who are looking for a safe and completely legal medication to boost their intelligence, memory and cognitive abilities.
Benefits of the drug
Noopept helps to improve and increase your memory
- Like any other Piracetam, Noopept helps in facilitating the initial stages of our memories.
- It helps in the consolidation of our thoughts and memories.
- It works in enhancing the memory retrieval abilities of the brain.
- It is widely used as a medication for people suffering from a particular cognitive deficiency.
- In the USA, Noopept is sold as a dietary supplement and shouldn’t be taken as an alternative to other medications.
It protects the brain
- Many physicians and medical professionals have argued that the primary function of Noopept is to protect the brain from damage and wear.
- It is effective in treating Alzheimer’s disease as well as Parkinson’s disease.
- The most dominant trait of Noopept is preventing ionic imbalances in the neurons of our brain cells.
- It also helps remove any unwanted cytokines.
A mood enhancer
- Research has indicated that Noopept not only helps in boosting your memory, cognition, and intelligence but also brightens up your temperament.
- Studies are still underway regarding the mood enhancing properties of Noopept, but scientists attribute this function of changing moods to the increase in the oxygen levels of our brain cells after administering the drug. Since there is an increased level of fresh oxygen, our mind thinks clearly and is sharper and more focused.
- Noopept triggers the release of dopamine, which is a natural mood enhancer found in our brain.
Noopept is much stronger than Piracetam
- Noopept was designed as a more potent alternative to Piracetam and Racetam.
- It is said to be 1000 times more efficient than other Piracetam.
- It has all the functions and properties of Piracetam and Racetam, but it is much more efficient when it comes to the treatment of psychological disorders.
- Usually, a Noopept dose is about 15-30mg a day while people consume about 5g of Piracetam a day. The difference in the dosage makes Noopept a much cheaper alternative to Piracetam.
- Unlike other Racetam, Noopept can reduce or, at least, not trigger headaches.
Side Effects of the Drug
Noopept poses a very low risk of side effects if it is administered according to medical practitioners’ prescriptions. That being said, here are a few side effects found in users.
- If taken in high dosages, Noopept does not get fully absorbed in the body and remains in the GI tract. This may lead to abdominal pain and an upset stomach.
- It can increase blood pressure and it is not advisable for individuals who suffer from hypertension or high blood pressure.
- It is best that pregnant women and lactating mothers keep away from any nootropics unless advised by a gynecologist.
It is recommended to consume 15 mg – 20 mg of the drug to avail best benefits. It is a concentrated drug as opposed to Piracetam. It is a far better alternative to Piracetam as a small dosage of the drug is equal to a relatively large one of the latter. Around 15 mg of Noopept substitutes for 4800 mg of Piracetam for an average adult.
Legal status of Noopept
It is considered an unscheduled substance in the USA; it is legal for anyone to purchase and consume the drug for personal use. It can be imported into Canada for personal use only as there is no commercial sale of the drug in the country. Just like Canada, Noopept is legal for personal consumption in Great Britain, but commercial import of the drug is prohibited.
It is easily available online and can be ordered for personal consumption.